Sunday, November 27, 2011

Why are people mean?

I have often wondered why someone thinks they need to say something when it's mean.  Anyone know?  I am disturbed by this.  I don't know what their mission is.  Do they feel bad about themselves so by putting down others it lifts them in some absurd way?  Not sure what the answer is.

But, my mamma taught me "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."  I have to agree with that.  I find that when I say something that wasn't so nice, it doesn't help me feel better, or the person I said it too.  Basically, when I am mean: I feel worthless and disappointed in myself.  So, I agree with my mamma.  "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Now, as an adult, I wonder why people are still mean.  I wonder what their motives are.  I wonder if they think by saying the thing they shouldn't be saying, that it will save the world?  So, the other day, my son said to me, "Not trying to be mean, . .. but, . . . . "  I stopped him right in his tracks and said.  So, what you are saying, is "I am going to be mean.  I am going to tell you something and because I preface it with this statement, you will just have to forgive me, because quite honestly I am going to say it anyway."  He stopped.  And thought.  And then said, "Mom, your right, that isn't so nice to say."

So, my next thought.  How to handle someone who is just full of criticism all the time.

Hummm  . . . So, as I was typing I remembered a bunch of poems, thoughts, and things that my dear sweet Grandma Great left for us.  Here is what she said:

The Answers to your problems.
1.  I've been criticized - go to Matthew 5:44
2.  I'm discouraged - go to Luke 18:27
3.  I'm tempted - go to 1 Corinthians 10:13
4.  I anger easily - go to Proverbs 15:1
5.  I'm afraid - go to Joshua 1:9
6.  I criticize to others too much - go to John 8:7
7.  I lack self confidence - go to Matthew 7:7
8.  Does faith elude me? - go to Hebrews 11:1
9.  I need more strength - go to Philippians 4:13

I miss my dear Grandma Great.  She was the kindest, sweetest, most influential person in my life.  I am very grateful she left so much for me, to help me along my journey.

Grandma gave me advice when I got married.  She said, "You can catch more flies with honey, then you can with vinegar."

No comments:

Post a Comment