Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Prayer is a form of work . . .

Tonight I had a great visit with my son.  A great visit!

That isn't typical.  He is usually pushing my buttons and testing my patience.  Which started out that way.  It's way past bedtime and he comes out of his room.  I need my kids in bed early.  I can't function if I don't have some unwind time in the evening.  So, out he comes.  And, I'm thinking, "What are you doing?  Do you realize, I may blow a head gasket? . . . "

And then proceeds to tell me - he saw some scary images today at school.  He is kind of like me.  I do not like scary, creepy shows, things, etc.  I have a vivid imagination and can see images and feelings I have seen many many years ago.  He too has the wild imagination.  So, I feel for him.

About ten years ago, an amazing lady by the name of Joan Erickson, came to talk to our stake when we lived in Monticello.  She talked about prayer.  Since, then, I believe this is one of my favorite things in the scriptures.  It's simple, it's descriptive, and it's so TRUE!

In the Bible Dictionary, it states . . . "As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father, and we are his children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part (Matt. 7:7–11). Many of the so-called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting this relationship. Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them. Blessings require some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a form of work, and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all blessings."


We then talked about when we see images, we don't get them from our minds.  And the more we are exposed to things, the more we learn to accept them, and then maybe even em-brass them.

We talked about when we feel things aren't right.  When we get a pit in the bottom of our stomach, it is the Lord telling us to get out, that things aren't right.  And that he knew that (I am so glad).

How we got on prayer, is I told him that  I had to pray every night as a child, because of something I was afraid of, or needed to get out of my mind.  That as I prayed, I then sang songs, or did whatever I could to replace that.

I asked him, if he said his own prayers.  He was honest and said no.  I then pulled out the Bible dictionary and we talked about, that if we are asking our Heavenly Father to help us or provide a blessing, we must ask or work for it.  It may be conditional based on if we ask for it.  I asked him, if he believed in Heavenly Father?  He said, Yes.  I asked him, if he believed Heavenly Father answered prayers?  He said, Yes.  And then he prayed.

I feel like we had a great experience.  I am grateful for what a strong boy he is.  He has such a great spiritual strength.  A strength that amazes me.  He has such a great testimony.  Such simple faith.  I am grateful for the example he provides.


One thing I believe is that, parents need to let their children catch them praying.  Children need to see that parents say individual prayers and that prayer is a part of our life.

Now, let's get to work and have Heavenly Father bless us through prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment